A bridge is a fixed dental restoration that replaces one or more missing teeth. It comprises two crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap and an artificial tooth/set of teeth in between. The false teeth are called pontics, made of gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials. Crowns over natural teeth or implants support dental bridges.
Our dentist in Cave Creek, AZ, will first examine your teeth and take X-rays to determine if a bridge is right for you. Then, our dentist will take an impression of your mouth and send it to the lab where the bridge will be constructed. In the meantime, a temporary bridge will be placed in your mouth. Once the permanent bridge is ready, the dentist will place it in your mouth and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a proper fit.
Types of Dental Bridges
A traditional bridge in Cave Creek, AZ, is a fixed restoration that replaces one or more missing teeth. The bridge consists of two crowns — one on each tooth on either side of the gap — and an artificial tooth/set of teeth in between. These crowns are cemented to the teeth next to the gap to hold the false tooth in place. The false tooth can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials.
Like a traditional bridge, a cantilever bridge uses a dental crown to support a pontic. However, it differs because it only attaches to one natural tooth adjacent to the gap rather than both sides. This type of bridge is used when only one suitable abutment tooth is available.
The Maryland bridges are similar to traditional bridges, but they are held in place by metal or porcelain wings on the sides of the bridge that are bonded to the backs of the abutment teeth.
Dental implants rather than natural teeth support an implant-supported bridge. Dental implants are small titanium posts implanted in the jawbone. They act as anchors for the crowns that support the bridge.
The Benefits of Dental Bridges
- A dental bridge can fill the gap in your smile caused by tooth loss, restoring your natural smile.
- Missing teeth can lead to tooth decay and gum disease in the surrounding teeth. A dental bridge can prevent these problems from occurring.
- Missing teeth can make it difficult to enunciate certain words or sounds appropriately. A dental bridge can help restore your speech.
- A dental bridge can help prevent further tooth loss by keeping the remaining teeth in place and preventing the surrounding teeth from shifting out of place.
- Replacing missing teeth with a dental bridge can boost confidence and improve your overall quality of life.
Visit Pro-Dental Care at 28260 N Tatum Blvd Suite A2, Cave Creek, AZ 85331, or call (480) 515-1464 to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards achieving the beautiful smile you've always wanted.